Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Conclusions

I woke up this morning expecting to battle to my son about having to go to school today.  I did indeed have a battle, but before that was the news broadcast that put a smile on my face.  I don't often, as in never, revel in another human's death; however, in the case of Osama Bin Laden I will make an exception.

I remember waking up the morning of Sept. 11, 2001 and turning on the television in much the same fashion as I did this morning.  I watched, in disbelief, as a plane flew right into one of the twin towers.  At first I thought it was a movie and then the newscaster spoke and I could hardly believe my ears.  This was actually happening. My husband's ship would set out a few months later firing off the first shots from sea to land in Iraq.  Many friends and loved ones would spend way too many hours, days, months, and years logged in the desert fighting the wars with Iraq, Afghanistan, and the al-Qaeda terrorists.  While the death of al-Qaeda's figurehead is by no means an end to these times, it is a victory for all the people, from all the nations, who have been affected by his reign of terror.

I don't feel there is a need to focus on the things bin Laden has done or how he lived and died - a coward hiding out while sending younger men and women to blow themselves up! Instead, I would like to simply thank every man and woman who has served in the armed forces of the United States of America and its allies for all that they have done.  For those who have gone to war and for those who have performed their duties at home that made it possible for overseas missions to take place, thank you!  I would like to thank the families of those service men and woman for the sacrifices they have endured in lost time with their loved ones, sleepless nights spent worrying, and for those lost loves that can never be returned.

A special thank you to the Intelligence Agents who spent years tracking this man so that justice could be served for all his atrocities.  The first glimmer of hope in finding bin Laden came from those controversial methods of interrogation that our country has taken heat for.  Thank you to my countrymen for doing what needed to be done!  And finally, thank you to Navy Seal Team Six who went in, and despite malfunctioning equipment, managed to get the job done with minimal collateral damage and zero losses from their own team. Thank you for the little bit of justice you have now given so many and for the major boost in morale that will now swell in the ranks of your fellow servicemen!


No comments:

Post a Comment